Moppets Preschool Picnic Cake
source Mrs. Hales Preschool
This was the required birthday cake at Mrs. Hales. It is still a favorite Mitchell birthday cake and is large enough for lots of decorating. We often have each guest sign it. Use large cake pan...18x14 or 17x11.
|2 ||Stick||Margarine (I have substituted butter)|
|4 ||Tablespoon||Cocoa (great with Ghirardelli)|
|½||Cup||Buttermilk or milk soured with 1 teaspoon lemon juice|
|2 ||Eggs slightly beaten|
|1 ||Cup||Chopped pecans (if desired)|
|1 ||Pound||Powdered sugar sifted|
|Tube||Icing with tips (from baking section at most markets)|
- Sift/mix together the flour and sugar.
- In a saucepan boil for a minute or two the margarine, cocoa, water and crisco and add to the dry ingredients above.
- Gently beat together the eggs, buttermilk, soda and vanilla and add to the above. Mix well. This makes a thin batter. Pour into the cake pan and tip to distribute evenly.
- Bake 20 to 40 minutes in a 400 degree oven depending on pan size. Do not let it dry out around the edges.
- About 5 minutes before cake is done make the frosting. Bring to boil in a saucepan the margarine, cocoa and milk. Stir in the vanilla, pecans and sifted powdered sugar.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately pour frosting over warm cake. Spread evenly. Cool before decorating.
- Have fun and make the cake special to the occasion!