...a wonderful accompaniment to fruit desserts
(To convert to Hazelnut Shortbread substitute 1/2 C hazelnut meal for 1/2 C of the flour and substitute 3/8 C light brown sugar for the granulated sugar.)
- Combine flour, cornstarch and sugar. Mix well
- Cut in butter. (It will be crumbly)
- Press into the bottom of a pan with removable bottom (9 or 10 inches in diameter).
- Use back of fork to press down around the edge. Then press fork tips into dough in a design. (I usually make radiating lines where I will want to cut into pieces...8, 10 or 12.) It helps to place fingers on both sides of the fork tines on the surface of the dough when pulling the fork out to keep pieces of dough from pulling up with the fork.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cut while warm. It is fun to use colored decorating sugars...green for Saint Patrick's Day, red for a Stanford party or Valentine's Day, red and green for Christmas.